Thursday, July 22, 2010

My Son's Wedding - The Announcement




I've attended numerous weddings and I know that its no small matter arranging a
wedding especially a Chinese wedding with all the mandatory rituals and 'pantang
larang' involved. Therefore I was quite taken aback recently when my son
announced out of the blue that he is getting married and in roughly 2 months time.
Though he is already of marriageable age and its either sooner or later but some-
how I needed to let the idea sink in first. Now its my turn to be involved head
first into all the nitty-gritty details of the wedding and to follow all the wedding
rituals required.

First will be the meeting of in-laws-to -be where all agreement will be make with
regards to dowry, presentation of gifts and the wedding dinner. The wedding
dinner venue has been booked and contrary to remarks by friends that people
need to book restaurant 1 year in advance in order to secure a place has been
thrown aside.

Secondly, will be the 'seong tau' ceremony on the night before the wedding day.
This is actually a simple ceremony performed individually by the bride and
bridegroom in their respective homes in front of an altar to mark the passing
over to adulthood and the start of a new phase of life as a married person.

Phew! this is just the begining and more to come in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment